About Larry

I live in Bandon on the southern Oregon coast and I've been riding for a long, long time, years, decades. We won't go there kiddies but believe me, it's been awhile. During that time I've done most of my riding on the road with occasional off-road forays, most of which were intentional. Some weren't. Until just a couple of years ago I'd never ridden a hack - that's sidecar to those who aren't familiar with the lingo. I figure riding a hack up Alaska's infamous Haul road all the way to Deadhorse should top off my torture tank for quite awhile.

About Mac

Mac hails from Robins, Iowa and has been riding bikes longer than most people have been around. He managed to torture his old BMW past the 100,000 mile mark and presently rides a Yamaha FJR. His newest ride, a 2008 Ural Patrol is waiting on the dealer's highest shelf until the flood waters recede after which they'll assemble it and turn it over to him. The fact that he's heading to Alaska for his first journey on a new rig should tell you all you need to know about him...

Friday, June 27, 2008

It's here! - Email from Mac Friday 6/27/08




LL

Here is the story of yesterday.

My buddy(Joe O'Connor) gave me a ride up to pick up my bike. Being a friend he stayed with me during the day and then followed me on the ride back home to make sure there was no trouble.

We arrived at the dealers at 3PM, which is the time the male partner of the dealership is there. He was quite surprised to see us as he thought we were coming up today. Needless to say the bike was not ready to pick up. I told him I was there to ride it home so if he would get it ready to go I would ride it home and we could finish up with the little goodie installations on Sat when I come back for the 500Km check. 

In the spirit of good dealership he told me to go have some coffee and come back later. Joe and I did as he asked and when we returned he was still working on it. He apparently made up his mind that he was going to to get it completely done.

To make a long story short he got everything done that I wanted except for the deep oil sump and extended oil pump. We will fix that Sat when I am up there for the 500Km check.

Now as the saying goes, here is the rest of the story. We finally got away from the dealership at 6:30 PM and arrived home at 11:30 PM. The back way I came home was 233Km and we made 4 stops so I not only learned a little bit about riding a hack I also checked out the lighting. All I got to say is I am very glad I read as much as I did on how to ride one, the first time I decelerated rapidly got my attention. Glad there was no one coming in the oncoming lane.

I finally got it thru my thick head that you need to slow down for a right corner and then slowly speed up thru the curve. On the left corner you need to slow down while taking the curve.

YES, all is well, but the banked curves to the left still get my attention, it feels like I am going to tip over to the left. Also the first couple of times I stopped I put my left foot down. I finally got used to that, now I can just see me riding my FJR and stop and fall over.

Now I got to get busy today, license, insurance, etc. Then tomorrow get up about 5 am and head north.

Man, I am having a lot of fun, who said retirement is boring.

Mac

P.S. I love my Ural

 

No comments: