About Larry

I live in Bandon on the southern Oregon coast and I've been riding for a long, long time, years, decades. We won't go there kiddies but believe me, it's been awhile. During that time I've done most of my riding on the road with occasional off-road forays, most of which were intentional. Some weren't. Until just a couple of years ago I'd never ridden a hack - that's sidecar to those who aren't familiar with the lingo. I figure riding a hack up Alaska's infamous Haul road all the way to Deadhorse should top off my torture tank for quite awhile.

About Mac

Mac hails from Robins, Iowa and has been riding bikes longer than most people have been around. He managed to torture his old BMW past the 100,000 mile mark and presently rides a Yamaha FJR. His newest ride, a 2008 Ural Patrol is waiting on the dealer's highest shelf until the flood waters recede after which they'll assemble it and turn it over to him. The fact that he's heading to Alaska for his first journey on a new rig should tell you all you need to know about him...

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Planning 101 - Burlington, WA - KOA campground


Email from Mac Re. our first camp. This sounds good to me, can't wait!
-------------------------

Sun 6/15/08  1:12 PM

LL

Fired up my camp stove for the first time today, just to make sure it works. Made a foam pocket to carry the propane cylinders in. Just as soon not have them rattling around. Might go BOOM.

Got a carry bag for the stove which fits great. Working on getting a couple of water proof containers that I can put on top of the ice in my cooler to hold any goodies that I don't want to get wet. The beer below I think will be ok, hey, it won't last long enough for the cans to get rusty.

I really need to get my hands on the bike because I need to get some measurements of the tub as I want to get a couple of water proof containers to carry clothes and cooking stuff. I'm talking about "BIG" containers that just barely fit in the tub. I plan on putting my cooler on the seat.

After the rain early this morning, this has turned out to be a beautiful day. The dealer is not open until Tuesday and I am really hoping that he will have it ready by Thursday, but that probably depends on how much work he has to do just to clean up his shop.

Dang, I am getting antsy,

Mac

P.S. I figure a good place for us to meet would be the KOA campground at Burlington. I plan on being there two nights. The first night I arrive and then have my bike worked on at the dealer, near by, the next day and then stay the second night. Then we can leave from there. Dang, if I only knew the dates. 

No comments: