About Larry

I live in Bandon on the southern Oregon coast and I've been riding for a long, long time, years, decades. We won't go there kiddies but believe me, it's been awhile. During that time I've done most of my riding on the road with occasional off-road forays, most of which were intentional. Some weren't. Until just a couple of years ago I'd never ridden a hack - that's sidecar to those who aren't familiar with the lingo. I figure riding a hack up Alaska's infamous Haul road all the way to Deadhorse should top off my torture tank for quite awhile.

About Mac

Mac hails from Robins, Iowa and has been riding bikes longer than most people have been around. He managed to torture his old BMW past the 100,000 mile mark and presently rides a Yamaha FJR. His newest ride, a 2008 Ural Patrol is waiting on the dealer's highest shelf until the flood waters recede after which they'll assemble it and turn it over to him. The fact that he's heading to Alaska for his first journey on a new rig should tell you all you need to know about him...

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

August 5th - Kitwanga first, then on to Vanderhoof - the geographical center of BC





Finally got hot weather today, so hot in fact I had to remove the last liners from my outfit. At first it seemed like a nice change but after roasting for a few miles it began to lose it's appeal. Starting out this morning everything not covered up was soaked with dew, probably coming off the nearby lake. I broke camp early and rode a few miles to warm up the chain, then stopped to oil it and wash out that pesky air filter. Boy when that thing gets dirty all hell breaks loose, the bike barely runs and the gas mileage goes to the red zone.

Riding down the Cassiar I saw three blackies, one of which would rival the big boy I saw yesterday. I always wonder how the bicycle riders deal with them...

I stopped for gas and a late breakfast at the village of Kitwanga where I met a couple of great ladies who cook all orders from scratch. Also got to chat it up with one of the old timers who's lived there forever. Lots of interesting stories about early life and logging in the area.

After that it was onward into the central inferno, not a lot of fun, had to stop several times just to drink some water and oil the chain again. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can either buy a jack so I can adjust the bugger or locate a shop with frugal rates and have it done. At present it's slapping like the dickens and will surely bust if I don't do something about it.

Tonight I'm holed up in the North Country Inn where I stayed two years ago. Nice clean place, reasonable rates and a good restaurant next door. I washed off my personal road grime, had a good dinner and look forward to a clean bed. Did you know Vanderhoof is the geographical center of British Columbia? I didn't take any photos of this little town, not much to see so I'll just post the ones of Kitwanga. Zzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 comment:

JB CR said...

hi from Costa Rica great blog!!!