About Larry

I live in Bandon on the southern Oregon coast and I've been riding for a long, long time, years, decades. We won't go there kiddies but believe me, it's been awhile. During that time I've done most of my riding on the road with occasional off-road forays, most of which were intentional. Some weren't. Until just a couple of years ago I'd never ridden a hack - that's sidecar to those who aren't familiar with the lingo. I figure riding a hack up Alaska's infamous Haul road all the way to Deadhorse should top off my torture tank for quite awhile.

About Mac

Mac hails from Robins, Iowa and has been riding bikes longer than most people have been around. He managed to torture his old BMW past the 100,000 mile mark and presently rides a Yamaha FJR. His newest ride, a 2008 Ural Patrol is waiting on the dealer's highest shelf until the flood waters recede after which they'll assemble it and turn it over to him. The fact that he's heading to Alaska for his first journey on a new rig should tell you all you need to know about him...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 6 - July 6th - Portland to Dosewallips State Park - WA



















Every morning it seems I've had to say a sad goodby to someone, this time it was to Turbo and Camilla, both whom lay whining while I loaded up the hack. What a couple of cry babies they are. Had to stop at Fred Meyers on the way out of town to replace the mysterious missing deoderant and hair goo, then hopped on I-84 - I-5 north and cranked up to warp one. The bike ran great and I didn't bother to stop until the exit for Olympia, gassed up and headed west to Shelton. On the way I spotted a couple of bovine art pieces across the way from Mud Bay so I snapped a couple of pics. Then it was on to Shelton, took a few minutes to tour down town, not much required, tidy little place, lots of flowers & stuff for the curio challenged. Along Hoods Canal I noticed tons of left over 4th of July fireworks crap deposited there by thoughtful folks celebrating. Yipeee... Eventually I located Dosewallips State Park where Linda and I spent the first night in our Rialta way back when so I dialed in a spot for the night. The nearest neighbors were a couple from Olympia, Greg and Ginny, both nice people who shared their fresh clams and local wine. We spent lots of time telling sea stories which seemed to improve as the evening progressed. Greg said he was getting up at 4:30am to set out his crab pots so I set my mental alarm clock and hopped out of the tent spot on. No Greg anywhere. After breakfast - spam, greasy fried eggs, potatoes, & coffee still no Greg. Finally when I was packed up and heading out he emerged, sleepy looking and somewhat sheepish but game for another day. Bye Greg, bye Ginny.

No comments: