About Larry

I live in Bandon on the southern Oregon coast and I've been riding for a long, long time, years, decades. We won't go there kiddies but believe me, it's been awhile. During that time I've done most of my riding on the road with occasional off-road forays, most of which were intentional. Some weren't. Until just a couple of years ago I'd never ridden a hack - that's sidecar to those who aren't familiar with the lingo. I figure riding a hack up Alaska's infamous Haul road all the way to Deadhorse should top off my torture tank for quite awhile.

About Mac

Mac hails from Robins, Iowa and has been riding bikes longer than most people have been around. He managed to torture his old BMW past the 100,000 mile mark and presently rides a Yamaha FJR. His newest ride, a 2008 Ural Patrol is waiting on the dealer's highest shelf until the flood waters recede after which they'll assemble it and turn it over to him. The fact that he's heading to Alaska for his first journey on a new rig should tell you all you need to know about him...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 9 - July 9th Discovering Woss, The Wonders of Nimpkish Bridge, and Sleeping Indoors!




























































Ah the thrill of travel on 3 wheels, sunlight on your face, freezing freaking wind cutting through every pore in your body, what more could one ask for? Boy oh boy am I ever grateful for those wondrous inventions, heated electrical clothing. Without them I'd have been one cold dog today and probably wouldn't have had the great ride that I did.

Still heading north, I wanted to make it to Port Hardy today. The signs said it was 220 and I figured if I rode in a sprightly manner I'd make it. I'd only been riding a few miles when the first view point popped up, the biggest sawmill I'd ever seen, with an ominous name, Western Division of Catalyst... Oohhh... scary, eh? Eh? Shortly beyond that another item, The Ripple Rock Mystery. It remains a mystery to me as after taking the photo I moved on without reading the info. Hmm.. As it turned out I had plenty of time for stops to gawk at every little item of interest, including a self-guided complete tour of Woss, the township I'd most like to spend more time in. One store (I think) including the gas pump with two nozzles of which one is duc-taped shut. Indian artifacts. Games of chance. Soda pop. Driving through town brought lots of friendly waves and nods from locals, including old folks and little kids. I expect it's one of those places where you either work for the local mill or you're retired, not much else is offered. From what I could tell everyone, and I mean everyone heats their houses with wood. With few exceptions all of the older houses were most likely provided by the mill, years ago before the invention of manufactured homes. Newer homes appeared to be of that later type and most all were neat and tidy. I think I like the people of Woss.

Heading north again I paused at the Nimpkish bridge where I investigated the dense fauna. There not being an available loo as they call it up here I reverted to stepping behind the tree. Only then did I notice the well worn path that created a very low tunnel through the general area of my repose. Just about bear size I'd say. I found this interesting as only a few miles prior I'd seen a sign warning of the fines that would be imposed on anyone guilty of feeding bears. Exactly who I wonder, would feed a bear? Other than your friendly local zoo keeper. Not me, that's for darn sure so I did a stage left post haste and hauled out of the woods. I attempted to take a photo of said tunnel but poor lighting and unsteady camera holding was enough to over-ride even Canon's image stabilization feature. So be it.

Arriving in Port Hardy under cloudy ominous skies with more than a hint of impending precipitation and accompanying cold front I decided it was time for a bit of self-indulgence. Namely the Quarter Deck Inn & Marina, complete with indoor plumbing and hot shower. The hack is tucked up nicely right next to the front entrance where staff can keep an eye on it while other guests believe its part of the quaint decor. How fun. Also on the list of pampering I treated myself to a non Top Ramen dinner at the Quarter Deck Lounge. Ugh. It's back to Top Ramen for me, I could buy 400 packs of TR for the cost of that yucky dinner.

But the staff is nice, very friendly and most accommodating and the room is a real room with a real bed you don't have to assemble and a potty where you don't have to take Deet along. All told a nice way to end the day.

No comments: