About Larry

I live in Bandon on the southern Oregon coast and I've been riding for a long, long time, years, decades. We won't go there kiddies but believe me, it's been awhile. During that time I've done most of my riding on the road with occasional off-road forays, most of which were intentional. Some weren't. Until just a couple of years ago I'd never ridden a hack - that's sidecar to those who aren't familiar with the lingo. I figure riding a hack up Alaska's infamous Haul road all the way to Deadhorse should top off my torture tank for quite awhile.

About Mac

Mac hails from Robins, Iowa and has been riding bikes longer than most people have been around. He managed to torture his old BMW past the 100,000 mile mark and presently rides a Yamaha FJR. His newest ride, a 2008 Ural Patrol is waiting on the dealer's highest shelf until the flood waters recede after which they'll assemble it and turn it over to him. The fact that he's heading to Alaska for his first journey on a new rig should tell you all you need to know about him...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 7 - July 7th - Vancouver Island Goldstream Provincial Park



















































As mentioned in my last report I started the day at 04:30am so I made it onto the road very early today. Stopped to see Point Whitney Tidelands park, then onto Discovery Bay for another historic moment. Saw a beautiful bald eagle hovering over the highway coming into Port Angeles, not something I've seen often.
There was a long wait for the next ferry to Victoria so I went to brunch with a couple from southern CA, she's a school principal and he's a college professor. I didn't ask their names or where they worked...duh... Oh well. Met a couple of other neat people, all Harley riders maxed to the bone. I asked them what all the noise was about and never got a response beyond a sheepish grin or shrugged shoulders. Probing farther than I probably should have I suggested it might have something to do with "look at me?" but again, nada so I let it drop.
Going through customs was a glide on the ice compared to last time, no search required, no smart-ass beady eyed power mad jerk-off on duty, just a polite young kid doing his thing. Probably his first day on the job. He checked out my Counter Assault bear spray, asked how much it cost, gave it his approval and sent me on my way. Dang. Must be losing my touch.
There were massive traffic jams through Victoria so I didn't stop for any pics, figured I'd never get back in line if I did. The temp was hot as hell and the bike's cooling fan ran non-stop. I'd forgotten to remove the thermal liner from my riding pants so I did the hot-seat boogaloo all the way through town. Once out on the open highway things cooled down and I made straight for Goldstream Provincial Park. I'd stayed there once before in 1972 on my old green Yamaha XS-1, the very same beastie parked in the garage at home.
No one was on duty at the main gate, just a small sign that said pick a spot and some one will be by later to collect the fee so I did. Just as I finished setting up a young park ranger pulled up and informed me I was camped a few feet off where I was supposed to be and I had to move my tent. Bummer. At least it's easy to do as once set up it's a free-standing tent so all I needed to do was pull the pegs and carry it to the approved spot 8 feet away. Onto the gravel bed with all the pointy little rocks. That's why I have the big honkin orange hammer, eh? Bed time was early due to the longish day, nothing going on that I couldn't pass up so I packed it in. Oblivious to the ten thousand screaming little kiddies running amuck. Zzzzz....zzzzzzzz.....

No comments: