About Larry

I live in Bandon on the southern Oregon coast and I've been riding for a long, long time, years, decades. We won't go there kiddies but believe me, it's been awhile. During that time I've done most of my riding on the road with occasional off-road forays, most of which were intentional. Some weren't. Until just a couple of years ago I'd never ridden a hack - that's sidecar to those who aren't familiar with the lingo. I figure riding a hack up Alaska's infamous Haul road all the way to Deadhorse should top off my torture tank for quite awhile.

About Mac

Mac hails from Robins, Iowa and has been riding bikes longer than most people have been around. He managed to torture his old BMW past the 100,000 mile mark and presently rides a Yamaha FJR. His newest ride, a 2008 Ural Patrol is waiting on the dealer's highest shelf until the flood waters recede after which they'll assemble it and turn it over to him. The fact that he's heading to Alaska for his first journey on a new rig should tell you all you need to know about him...

Sunday, July 13, 2008

July 12th - Ferry to Vancouver - Yikes, the freakin bike is croaking!











Today I figured it would be smart to head to the KOA campground where I'll be meeting Mac. I wanted to get there early and spend some time cleaning up the bike, maybe send some email as all KOA's have WIFI now, eh?
The ferry ride over was nice, lots of sunshine and time for a doze in the lounge. Unfortunately the Aprilia has decided it's unhappy about this entire traveling thing and dies whenever it chooses. Usually in front of large trucks or in the middle of off-ramps sans shoulders to park on. It has something to do with the fuel feed, maybe crap in the tank (who knows how bad some of the gas has been) or maybe the filter is plugged. Doesn't matter, it has to be fixed or the trip is kaput. I called the Ural dealer where Mac's going to have his bike serviced and he's willing to have a look at it at the same time. Got my fingers crossed on that one.
This afternoon I stopped at the Burlington KOA thinking I'd stay there till Mac arrives but holy cow what a dump the last tent site is! At $39 per day plus tax, no water, no table, just trash and weeds, I don't think so. Off to Days Inn I went, only $79 per day including all the amenities. No contest. I wonder what Mac will think when he arrives? Footnote: There is a God, ran out of gin a day or two back and discovered Yukon Jack is very tasty with Tonic water.




No comments: